The Building Department has numerous functions including, but not limited to:
- Issuing building permits for construction, demolition, remodeling of and repair of structures upon the approval of applications for same.
- Issuing permits for signs, air-conditioning, oil burners and oil tanks.
- Performing inspections for and issuing certificates of occupancy.
- Investigating complaints of violations of Borough codes and ordinances dealing with building, zoning and property maintenance.
The Building Department enforces the provisions of the Uniform Construction Code, the Borough Property Maintenance Code and such other codes as may be required to be enforced within the Borough. The present BOCA (Basic Building Code) was adopted by ordinance in 1977 along with a National Plumbing Code and the New Jersey Uniform Construction Code with on going updates approved on a regular bases by the State of New Jersey.
Maintenance Code covers all buildings and property. Enforcement of these codes helps prevent the deterioration of buildings throughout and Borough. Proper occupancy standards of all buildings are maintained to preserve the residential atmosphere of the Borough and the general welfare of the citizens. All inspections required by the Uniform Construction Code and the enforcement of the code are accomplished by the following:
- Construction Code Official/Zoning Officer
- Fire Sub Code Official
- Building Inspector
- Building Sub Code Official
- Plumbing Sub Code Official
- Electrical Sub Code Official
- Elevator Sub Code Official
- Zoning Officer
- Maintenance & Housing Inspector
Permits are required for almost all building and renovating, moreover, all contractors and landscapers must be licensed with the State of New Jersey.